- RSS Channel Showcase 7627750
- RSS Channel Showcase 2166708
- RSS Channel Showcase 1738293
- RSS Channel Showcase 3634364
Articles on this Page
- 05/23/17--21:04: _Saint Philip Neri—H...
- 06/06/17--21:04: _Cultivating the Fru...
- 06/20/17--21:04: _Four Simple Tools t...
- 07/04/17--21:04: _Humility: An Unachi...
- 07/18/17--21:04: _Prudence and Knowin...
- 08/08/17--21:04: _Eight Ways to Be a ...
- 08/29/17--21:04: _When Someone Falls ...
- 09/12/17--21:04: _A “Strong Catholic”...
- 09/26/17--21:04: _Excuse Me, God, Is ...
- 10/24/17--21:04: _A Soul’s Hearth
- 02/06/18--21:04: _Do You Hate Small T...
- 03/13/18--21:04: _Sometimes You’re Ju...
- 05/07/18--21:04: _Is Good Enough Good...
- 05/22/18--21:04: _Unless You Become L...
- 05/23/17--21:04: Saint Philip Neri—Heart Specialist
- 06/06/17--21:04: Cultivating the Fruits of the Holy Spirit
- 06/20/17--21:04: Four Simple Tools to Help Navigate Your Way From Sin to Sanctity
- 07/04/17--21:04: Humility: An Unachievable Virtue?
- 07/18/17--21:04: Prudence and Knowing When to Quit
- 08/08/17--21:04: Eight Ways to Be a Better Godparent
- 08/29/17--21:04: When Someone Falls From Grace, Help Them Up!
- 09/12/17--21:04: A “Strong Catholic” Adrift
- 09/26/17--21:04: Excuse Me, God, Is There a Family Discount?
- 10/24/17--21:04: A Soul’s Hearth
- 02/06/18--21:04: Do You Hate Small Talk? Maybe You’re Doing It Wrong!
- 03/13/18--21:04: Sometimes You’re Just Lying There Like a Slug In the Desert
- 05/07/18--21:04: Is Good Enough Good Enough When It Comes To Parenting?
- 05/22/18--21:04: Unless You Become Like Children
Saint Philip Neri is one of my good friends. I never knew him during his life on earth, of course, as he lived during the sixteenth century. But, as with many saints, after learning more about him and his exemplary love for God, I have come to regard him as a great model for the Christian life and have sought [...]
I could use a lot more fruit in my life. I’m not talking about dietary fiber, either. I’m talking about the fruits of the Holy Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23. Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. And I’m going to need some help to grow these fruits. Sure, I have some of each naturally, but, like growing [...]
So, you’ve got a sin problem too? It’s not uncommon. In fact, it has plagued every living human since the first living humans. It’s called Original Sin. It is part of the human condition. Darn it. At first we just had to live with it, while God prepare us for the solution. Even His favorite humans, the Hebrews, were not [...]
“Every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled; and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted” (Luke 14:11). Humility is a rather slippery virtue. It’s one of the most important to have, but it’s impossible to achieve. Once you set out to become proficient in humility, it has dissolved! If you strive to grow in it by your actions, the moment you [...]
“And if any one loves righteousness, her labors are virtues; for she teaches self-control and prudence, justice and courage; nothing in life is more profitable for men than these.” (Wisdom 8:7). “Don’t be a quitter!” It’s a phrase frequently used to encourage—or belittle. It goes along with that silly challenge to “Go outside your comfort zone.” But I have been [...]
It is an honor to be asked to be a godparent. But choosing a godparent is not merely a way to honor a friend or relative after the birth of a child; it is an invitation to take on a big responsibility in the child’s life. No, you are not expected to raise the child in the event of the [...]
I once heard someone say, “When a person has fallen from grace, don’t kick him down. Help him up!” It sounds so obvious, but we really do need to be reminded. We see it all around us. “Did you hear what she did???” Shock and outrage are often our response to accounts we see on the internet, hear on the [...]
One of the things I most enjoy during visits with my family in Southern California, is visiting the little beach town nearby. Main Street lies between Pacific Coast Highway and the pier and is lined with restaurants, cafes, pubs, boutiques, ice cream parlors and art galleries. The shops are all individually owned and have a low profile, preserving the small [...]
It’s not easy to become a saint while raising a family. Especially for some of us. Me, for instance. And I could use a little help. I heard a priest recommend that we read about and seek the intercession of saints who shared the same vocation as us. Priests should get to know the lives of holy priests, religious sisters [...]
As I walked into the church for Mass last Sunday, I noticed right away the candles had been trimmed too long. They looked like a half dozen lit bottle rockets lined up on the reredos, in anticipation of the dazzling finale in a Fourth of July pyrotechnic display. My mind filled with strains of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. Smoke was billowing upward [...]
I’ve heard many people claim they hate small talk like it’s a mark of distinction. I’m not sure that’s something worth boasting of, though. Small talk gets a bad rap, but making it is a skill well worth having. It’s a skill that smooths the way for friendships and relieves uncomfortable social situations by getting conversation moving. It’s like the [...]
I don’t think I’m the only one who hasn’t been having a very good Lent this year. By which I mean I haven’t been having a very bad Lent. I mean, it hasn’t been hard; I haven’t been taking full advantage of the opportunities this liturgical season offers in terms of increased prayer, fasting and alms-giving. As a matter of [...]
Is “good enough” good enough when you’re raising a Catholic family? Colleen Duggan thinks so. And she ought to know! Colleen is a self-professed recovering type-A perfectionist, who has struggled in her quest to become the “perfect” Catholic mom of the “perfect” Catholic family. And she has succeeded – not in achieving perfection, but in learning that God is only asking her to [...]
When Jesus’ disciples asked Him, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” our Lord answered, “Unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”(Matt 18:3). It’s a clear message that aiming for greatness and prestige is not going to help us when it comes to the Kingdom of Heaven. He redirected the [...]